Romance By Catherine: Make Welcome, Rebecca J. Clark

Monday, July 2, 2012

Make Welcome, Rebecca J. Clark




 
I want you all to welcome Rebecca J. Clark to my blog today. She agreed to an interview so you can learn a little more about her and her work.

Thanks for coming, Rebecca. Tell me, how do you respond when someone says... "Oh, you write THAT kind of book?"

It depends on the mood I’m in. If I’m feeling coy, I’ll say, “Yes, because I’m THAT kind of woman.” If I’m feeling dramatic, I might say, “What do you mean THAT kind of book?” And I’ll look at them with a really hurt, confused expression on my face. Or if I’m feeling snarky, I might say, “Why? Do you have a problem with a woman finding a happy ending with a man who loves and respects her and is good in bed?”

Good answers. Most of us that write do so because we love to read. How many books do you read a month? What was the name of the last book you read?

Again, the answer is...it depends. I’m the type of reader that when reading a good fiction book, I must stay up all night to finish it if necessary. That’s not good for the day job. Or the writing job. LOL. So, I probably read only one fiction book a week, but I am always reading two or three non-fiction books. The last fiction book I read was Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye. As for non-fiction, I’m reading The China Syndrome about the relationship between our diets and our long-term health, and Scene & Structure by Jack M. Bickham (cuz a writer should never stop trying to improve his/her craft).

That’s so true. We all need to continue getting better at what we do.
What are your thoughts on Self Publishing?

I think it’s the best thing to happen to authors and readers ever. Seriously, EVER. I shudder to think of how many wonderful books have been rejected over the years from traditional publishers because they didn’t quite fit what the market was supposedly looking for. But I don’t honestly think publishers—the big ones anyway—necessarily know what the market is looking for. For instance, I LOVE romantic suspense. I LOVE straight contemporary (real world, no vampires, dead bodies, aliens, etc), but the Big 6 publishers don’t buy many of those because “no one is reading them.” Um, hello? What am I and others like me? Chopped liver? :) Anyway, with self-publishing, authors can now write the books they want to write, and readers can read more of the types of books they want to read. Is there a lot of crap out there by self-published authors? Yeah, there is. But I think most online bookstores will let you read sample pages before you buy. I can tell in the first page if I’m going to like the story. Plus, if I’m only shelling out .99-$2.99, if I end up not liking the book, it still cost me less than my trip to Starbucks. Big deal.

Amen! But then you know I’m all about self publishing.
What do you like better, Facebook or Twitter?
Neither. LOL. Seriously, I’m horrible at social networking. I dabble here and there with both, but have found neither very effective at reaching my readership...probably because I’m only dabbling. I just don’t have a lot of free time—if I have time to be on Facebook, I should probably be writing. That said, I do need to find a better balance between writing and promo. So if I had to choose...I’d say Twitter because it’s quicker and less of a time suck.

*Head-desk* Honey, you have to get online more! LOL
Tell us something about your current release that you've not told any other blog.
Within a few days of DELIVER THE MOON coming out, one of my readers found a really “duh” error within the first few pages. The wrong last name on one of my major characters. ACK! Luckily, my fabulous most-awesome publisher, The Wild Rose Press, was able to fix it in both the ebook and paperback. Thank goodness. Otherwise, every time I look at that book on my shelf, I would think of that error.

I did enjoy working with The Wild Rose Press. And you’re not the first one to spell a character’s name wrong.  

And the most important question ever... Toilet paper...over or under?

Duh. Over, of course.

Of course!






Twitter @RebeccaJClark

1 comment:

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Thanks so much for having me here today, Catherine! I promise I will try to do better about being online...