Romance By Catherine: What is Print On Demand?

Monday, August 23, 2010

What is Print On Demand?

Okay... folks. I know some of you know the answer to this question, but seeing is often understanding so below I have a youtube video designed to help everyone understand what a Print On Demand book is and how it is made.

Imagine what a book store of the future will look like. There may be one actual book on the shelf, and a dozen of these machines around the room available for you to stand next to while your book is being printed. Think of all the land fills that we will avoid filling up!



13 comments:

Sandra Stixrude said...

Oh, wow! Of course I know what POD is (and that people often confuse it with self publication) - but it was so cool to see the actual machine in action.

Sherry Gloag said...

Not so very long ago on the UK news they showed an example of just such a machine where you went into the shop, paid your dues, typed the info into the machine, and hey presto, while you wait the book is printed and bound for you to take away with you!

Jannine Gallant said...

Very cool! I wonder how long it will be before these machines are standard in bookstores?

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

This was really cool to see the POD printer in action. Thanks for sharing.

One day we'll be sipping our latte's while waiting for our next read to print out. lol

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Cool post! Thanks for sharing.

Catherine Bybee said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies. This is cool stuff, huh?

Leigh D'Ansey said...

Fantastic!

Margaret West said...

How fabulous is that!!!

Cate Masters said...

I can't wait for those to be available in local bookstores! Maybe then they'll catch on that it's a good idea to allow a POD author a signing. ;)

Unknown said...

Totally wild. So quick, easy and inexpensive. Bet the NY houses hate it though lol.

P.L. Parker said...

I saw that - very interesting.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Catherine, This is a great video and I'm glad you posted it. I had wondered what the machines looked like and how they worked. I do realize this is the future of publishing, really I do. As I watched this, though, all I could think of was PAPER JAM. LOL

Catherine Bybee said...

The paper jam would suck! LOL -