Romance By Catherine: Free Isn't Always Free

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Free Isn't Always Free


Free Isnt Always Free!

Every time you download a book off a pirate site, you delay, if not destroy, the authors ability to write their next novel.

You see, dear reader, while you might think published authors are rolling in money, you couldn't be more wrong. Most published authors have a day job and write in their spare time. With every pirated download your favorite author has one less book sold that their publisher sees. With every single book unaccounted for, that author may not receive another contract to finish the series...or have a reason to write the next book.

A prime example of this comes from my own personal experience with my Spanish translations. You see, dear readers... Wife by Wednesday was translated into Spanish (El Contrato)  a couple of years ago.  The publisher was 'happy' with the sales of the book in Spain and surrounding countries... I was not. Why? Because I found several pirate sites where I counted over a million downloads of my book. 

A MILLION.

I was told by many industry professionals that piracy in Spain is a massive problem and there was nothing I could do about it.


So I sat back and waited. Eventually, because Wife by Wednesday did OK in Spain...I actually hit one of their more noted bestsellers list... my publisher there took their option to publish Married by Monday...in Spanish (El Pacto). That too has been out for a while but hasn't done nearly as well. The pirate downloads, however were just as huge in numbers.

I have many readers who contact me, almost weekly, asking if the rest of the series will be published in Spanish.
 
Uhm.... I doubt it. I hate to say that, but I can't promise anything. With Millions of illegal downloads, and no money being made off the effort, why would a publisher bother?

I have considered self-publishing in Spanish, but that too would cost a nice penny that I may never see come back.

We all look for a good dealbuy the milk on sale vs. the name brand that costs .50 cents more but if you take the milk without paying for it, everyone misses out.

In the case of English language books, most authors/publishers have plenty of discount days, deals, and even times to get a book for free.

So...while you might think it a windfall to find your favorite author's books on a site for free, remember that your 5 star review is not helping that author quit his or her day job so they can write full time. Your 5 star review is not paying their power bill to keep their computer running...their Internet up. Your 5 star pirated review really isn't helping them at all.

A cup of coffee at your favorite coffee house costs more than an E-Book. You don't walk out of the coffee house without pulling out your wallet... "Because they might arrest you for that shit."

Downloading a pirate book is NOT a victim-less crime. If writers can't make money on their work, they move on, and you won't read their next book even if you pay for it...because the writer didn't write it.




5 comments:

Lee Hye Seok said...

It's a shame that the other books do not come in Spanish, I've been looking ances, but I understand the problem of pirated downloads hopefully sometime decide continiar with books in Spanish I admire his work but I also understand why which does not want to continue

P. D. Sorry my English is not very good so I use a translator

Catherine Bybee said...

It is sad, Lee.

Sarah Blausey said...

STOP BOOK PIRACY. SIGN and SHARE THE PETITION! From Authors & Readers for Copyright Protection.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-book-piracy

Vânia said...

I'm sorry to hear that kind of thing.
I live in Brazil and I say that here we also have this serious problem about piracy of books.I don't remember how I found out about your books but I fell in love with them since I read the #1 Weekday Brides series. And since then I have read all and wish other Brazilian readers - who do not know English - can read them in our own language.
I dare say that as a blogger I have contacted some publishers talking about how your series is wonderful and they should get the right to publish it here.
One of the publishers who I really like is Universo dos Livros and several times they heard my suggestion and read my book reviews (The Butterfly Reads blog) and bought the idea.
It would be very sad if piracy win over this battle to prevent great American books reach readers from other countries.
What if you or your agent would put in the contract that your translated work can only be marketed in print? Because in e-book is easier of pirating - very fast. Here in Brazil more than 50% of readers still prefer the printed book.
Really, Catherine, I would be honored to have your books published here.
Don't let people of questionable character block you from flying.
By the way, I'm completely in love with Neil and Rick.
Thanks for share this amazing characters with all of us!!

Unknown said...

There is no reason to STEAL from a writer.. There are so many books available for free online LEGALLY free and there is the library.. I had a big argument with someone who couldn't believe that I spend so much money BUYING books print ebooks and audio! (Usually a same TI tle in at least two of those types!) this person was bragging that they get any book free... I was shocked! And this person isn't someone without funds! Not by far! I said under my breath but loud enough to hear that I would never invite her to my home! She was so offended. I asked her how can she be when she stands here bragging about stealing. Oh no these are only books (or movies or music...) I asked her how do you draw the line on what you feel should be yours for no cost? I said you go to people's homes and just take what you want? You take things from stores? No of course not! I asked her how she feels she has the right not to pay for a piece of art work that a writer maybe took months...years to write? Oh they make plenty of money WHATS one book I get? I asked how many of "her" she thinks there is!? And that even IF it is JUST her it still doesn't make it right! Because you're not stealing from someones living room you may as well be. Would she like something she worked on taken? Something she owned she paid for? Her sister makes and sell unique cookies...I said is it right for me to go and take cookies without paying? No of course not. Wether this person will continue to pirate things she feels mean nothing in the big picture or not I at least made her think about it and admit to a group that basically she was a thief! And that's just what pirating people are! I've raised my children to never take what isn't theirs! That goes for everything from a person you know or someone you will never meet. People should be compensated for everything they have produced! Shame on those who think it's right to get over! It's an ugly world. Oh my goodness I'm sorry that went on much longer than intended! I apologize! But wanted to tell that story.
On another note..:I love your books! Have many in both ebook and again as audio! I like to read at times and don't want to have to put the story down when I have something else to do! LOL yes I love to read and be read to! Audio books were a fabulous discovery for me! Listening to REDEEMING VOWS right now as I do housework! Love the series!